When you have severe plumbing issues, don’t hesitate to call the professionals to fix it. They can arrive quickly, minimise any damage, and resolve the problems in your home.
While emergency plumbing is essential, it’s just as important to take some precautionary measures. A little bit of maintenance will go a long way to preventing serious issues.
Why is Preventive Plumbing Important?
If you leave plumbing problems unattended, they will worsen and cost you more money in the long run. If you fail to fix a small leak in a tap, for instance, it could become severe and seep through your walls or flooring. You also end up wasting gallons of clean water. Let’s take a look at a few plumbing maintenance tips that will leave you with a fully functional plumbing system.
Plumbing Maintenance Tips:
- As part of your preventive maintenance checklist, look at your taps to identify leaks. These include kitchen, bath, and laundry taps.
- While you’re examining the taps, check for irregular sprays or low water pressure. If you see something unusual, clean out the tap aerator by unscrewing it and cleaning it with a penetrative oil like WD-40. If the aerator looks old and worn out, use a new one.
- If you hear the toilet flushing on its own or making loud noises, inspect the toilet and the flush tank for problems. If you do this on time, you’ll prevent blockages, leaks, and flapper malfunctions.
- Pour a homemade drain cleaner down the sink to keep it free from clogs. Mix equal parts of baking soda and vinegar, and send it down the drain. Once it stops fizzing, pour at least a litre of boiling water into the sink.
- While we’re on the subject of sinks, remember to avoid pouring leftover oil down the sink. It could cause a block in the future.
- Keep an eye on your main sewer line to see how well it’s performing. If you have a sewer drain clog, you’ll see water backing up into your bathtub or toilet. Multiple fixtures will stop functioning normally. To prevent this, call a professional plumber to clean out your main sewer.
- If you have a waste disposer in your kitchen sink, don’t throw hard items like bones in there. Also, run cold water before turning on the disposer.
- It’s a good idea to switch the main water supply valve on and off a few times every year. This will prevent the valve from sticking to the ‘On’ position.
In an emergency situation, remember to turn off the main water supply first. Also, call a professional at the earliest to keep damage to a minimum.
Household Plumbing Services
If you need plumbing maintenance, bathroom installation or shower repair in Beckenham, call the experts at Hulshoff Plumbing & Gas.
We are happy to work on both big and small plumbing jobs. If you want to fix leaking taps, clogged toilets or blocked drains in Beckenham, get in touch with us.
We also specialise in gas plumbing. So if you ever need a gas fitter to install new appliances, give us a call on 0403 981 421.